Web This Site

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Review: Cavemen - Club me over the head and call me curious

Cavemen
Premiere date: October 2, 2007
Airs: Tuesdays @ 8 p.m. on ABC

I admit it. Curiosity got the best of me. That’s my only excuse for watching the new ABC show Cavemen, based on the Neanderthals from the Geico Insurance commercial.

Incredibly, the show was worse than I imagined. I’m talking Flavor of Love meets Jerry Springer bad. The fact that I couldn’t tell the cavemen apart was the least of the problems. Quite simply, it wasn’t funny.

The premise just didn’t work. Before you declare me a TV snob, you should know that I’m capable of suspending all reality in order to enjoy a show. I’ll buy just about anything if the storytelling is good: a time traveler, a polar bear on a tropical island, a man who can run faster than a speeding bullet. But cavemen living in modern-day California, um, no.

A successful commercial does not make a successful show. I think that the Geico talking gecko would have been a better choice to head up a new series. Wait. I shouldn’t put that out there. It might just end up on the schedule next fall.

The biggest disappointment is that Cavemen came from ABC, the one network I always count on to deliver quality programming. (Seriously, most of the shows I watch are on the alphabet network.) How Cavemen made it on the fall schedule and Football Wives didn’t, remains a mystery. Whoever decided to put Cavemen on the air deserves a club to the head or at the very least they should be forced to watch the show.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite possibly the worst show ever made. What were they thinking?

Anonymous said...

Quite possibly the worst show ever made.

Rob said...

Can someone please tell me again what this show is suppose to be about?

Anonymous said...

What a waste of 30 minutes. I watched carpoolers after and that was a waste as well. All this to get to the show we really wanted to see "Dancing with the Stars". Next week, we will skip the first two. The alphabet networks lose to cable viewing again with this type of programming.

tube talk girl said...

Rob, LOL...It's about the cavemen from the Geico insurance commercial, who are trying to live in modern-day California. They walk around as cavemen who play tennis, have jobs and date hot women. Yes, it's as bad as it sounds.

tube talk girl said...

I agree that Carpoolers was horrible, too. I didn't even write up a review.

Anonymous said...

Prior to its debut Tuesday night, I had SO looked forward to having a night of laughter once a week. I have never been more disappointed. I didn't find anything funny; the main character from the Geico commercial was toned down and playing second fiddle to two new "cavemen" characters who were spearheading the show. String some of the Geico commercials together and make them the T.V. show. At least they're funny/funnier that the show will ever be!

Anonymous said...

ABC definitely went back to the Dark Ages with this dud. UGH!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I saw some it while I was passing through the living room briefly.....and that was a waste of time.

Anonymous said...

I was hugely 'worried' that they were taking the popularity of a cute commercial too far .. and I was unfortunately correct. What just might have had a chance would have been that at least one of the threesome should have been a bit on the dense side, the other two a tad less educated and well spoken and certainly not to have had this try to play out in California of all places. Perhaps a place more like "Northern Exposure" ... that might have made it palatable ... in a way I'm sorry it stunk so bad! There was a good idea that got buried somewhere along the production path.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely horrible show. GEICO should stay with the caveman ads as they are some of the best on TV. The show really stinks. Hopefully it won't last.

Anonymous said...

Yep, seen the show. It was totally dumb and I didn't like it any bit. I can't believe they actually dared to launch such a show. I'm looking for what others people think about Cavemen, so give http://www.snupped.com/cavemen a check.

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk