Web This Site

Monday, October 08, 2007

Friday Night Lights scores with season premiere

Friday Night Lights returned on Friday, and to put it bluntly, I’m obsessed. The show came out swinging, doing what it does best: real, honest, heartfelt drama.

There was plenty of humor, too. From Coach Taylor calling Matt “The Saracen” to Landry’s hilarious dating problem-solving philosophy: When in doubt, ask yourself “WWRD – What would Riggins do?” Priceless.

I know I’ve been preaching the FNL love here at Tube Talk to the point you’re probably sick of hearing it, but somebody listened. Ratings were up 200,000 over the season one finale. Woo Hoo! The season two premiere scored 6.48 million viewers. I was hoping the show would bring in 8 or 9 million viewers, but hey, an improvement is an improvement, so I’ll take it.

After a spectacular season one of Friday Night Lights, I was concerned that season two might not meet the high standard set forth last year. There’s no need to worry. The Taylors had a baby girl. Eric took the job out of town. Julie is having trouble adjusting to her father’s absence and to being the quarterback’s girlfriend. Lyla became a born-again Christian. Riggins is still rebellious Riggins. Tyra and Landry have bonded. Jason is coaching. And Buddy is a mess, after his marriage fell apart.

The only fumble in the season premiere was that my beloved Landry is now apparently a murderer. Landry was protecting Tyra from a rapist, when he clocked that psycho in the head with a club. Instead of calling the cops, Tyra insisted they dump the body in the river. Huh? This silly plot device is right out of an episode of Melrose Place. It’s far beneath the perfection of Friday Night Lights.

The beauty of this show is that it’s about the real moments in life, not absurd murder plots. (See the scene where Eric and Julie have a confrontation about her recent behavior. He cornered his daughter with all the finesse of a bull in a china shop, to try and get her talking about her life. It was raw, honest and brilliant.) I have faith that the FNL honchos will remedy the “Landry is a murderer” plot. Perhaps, the psycho won’t be dead, after all.

Here are a couple other observations:
--Kyle Chandler, you look better every year. Is there an aging portrait in your attic?

--Matt and Landry I love you both, but please stop all the stuttering. It was cute at first, but when it starts interfering with being able to understand what you’re saying, it needs to stop.

--Can the Taylors adopt me? The way they talk with daughter Julie is a dream for any teenager or adult.

--Tyra’s new hair is cute.

Welcome back, FNL. We’ve missed you!

What did you think of the season premiere? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this show. It made all the new stuff that premiered last week seem just "eh."

I loved that scene between Eric and Julie. I wish I'd had a father that talked to me like that.

I agree about the Landry situation, though. He was the one guy we could always count on for fun, humor. Now, I suppose, he's going to be as full of drama as the rest of the folks.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to criticize the show in any way because I feel like it needs all the positive buzz it can get, but this Landry mess, well...I have no words.

Anonymous said...

The Landry SL is a huge wrong turn. Dramatically, I like the Julie/Matt tension but I want them back together by about midway through the season. Their relationship, whether strong or floundering or even temporarily suspended, is too good and too real not to be continued.

Anonymous said...

i agree with all you about the landy storyline being a wrong turn. Why would they do this???? If it's just to jumpstart a relationship with Tyra then I would have thought they would have found a better way.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for recommending this show. With all the new crap this season, it felt like coming home to watch FNL. You really can tell a good drama when you see it, compared to crap. (Bionic Woman - UGH!)

Anonymous said...

Best drama on the tube, Jen. Thanks for berating me in to watching it!

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk