Web This Site

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Michael Muhney speaks about Sheriff Lamb’s death on Veronica Mars

Just moments after Sheriff Lamb got a ball bat to the head, I talked with his portrayer, actor Michael Muhney, to find out if he was truly in line for a toe tag. Here are Muhney’s comments about getting the ax, er, ball bat.

Is the sheriff really dead? (I'm not sure I want to know, if the answer is yes.)
Lamb is dead. Or at least that's what Keith said, so I'm assuming as much!

If the death is for real, how did everyone (OK, you) keep such a HUGE, SHOCKING secret?
Personally, it meant a lot to me for this to be a surprise. I'm glad nobody leaked it. There are so many leaks on so many shows and I just hate that. I was really worried that my final moments would come out weeks earlier. I'm so glad they didn't.

How long have you known that the Sheriff was headed for the dirt nap?
Six weeks now. Gah! I'm glad it's out there now. It's a relief.

Did Rob give you an explanation as to why they wanted to kill Lamb?
No. To his credit, though, I never asked, either.

If this is really the final curtain call for Lamb, can you please say something to the thousands of fans who are freaking out right now? You have a HUGE fan base, and they want to know if you have any projects lined up or where they can see you next?
This is a goodbye to Lamb, but NOT TO ME. I am still the same guy, and I'm not going anywhere. I don't consider the people who enjoy what I do as "fans" (that's the common vernacular) but rather as "friends". We're just a big group of friends who have some common interests. Actually I prefer to call anyone who's a fan a "hobbit". But not just A hobbit, rather, MY hobbit. It just has some sort of special feel for me. I know it is all semantics, but I think of them first and foremost as my hobbits.

OK, “hobbits”, I know you’re ticked and saddened. I’ve received your e-mails and your hordes of comments at my initial post. Believe me, I feel your pain. While Lamb's death was one of the biggest shockers the show ever pulled, I just don’t get why it was necessary. Keith, as a detective, is much more fun to watch, in my opinion. And if they had to kill Lamb, why not make it a huge murder mystery for Veronica to solve, a la Lily Kane? At least then, Veronica and Keith would have been invested in the character’s death.

I know you guys have had plenty to say on this matter, as my e-mail is overflowing. So, please, take time to leave a comment below for Michael to read. He’s one of the most accessible actors and nicest guys I’ve had the chance to meet in this business, and we here at Tube Talk wish him all the best in any future endeavors.

For a more in-depth interview with Muhney, check out Kristin’s blog at E!Online.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, you will be missed more than you know. Thank you for the laughs.

Anonymous said...

Godspeed, Lamb! We'll miss you 'ol chap.

Anonymous said...

Michael, I can't even tell you who saddened and shocked I am that lamb went out. His banter with Veronica was my favorite part of the show.

Anonymous said...

This sucks. Period.I hope Richard Grieco's character, no I don't know the name or do I care, gets a really big prison mate.

Anonymous said...

Michael, you were one of the best parts of veronica mars. Thank you so much for being so kind to your fans, too. I met you at an event and couldn't believe how kind you were. Good luck, not that you'll need it.

Anonymous said...

Michael...when i saw that episode i was in absolute shock. I honestly just sat there with my jaw on the ground. I was like "no...no...this has to be a dream sequence!!!"

I'm devastated. You were one of my favourite characters on the show - i will follow you with your future projects. Best of Luck.

Love Katie
R.I.P Lamby - tales of your imcompetence will stay with us forever.

Anonymous said...

Michael, your exit was premature, but your performances will live on forever in Neptune's canon. Long live Sheriff Lamb!!!

We'll miss you, and good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Loved that he shot himself in the mirror before buying it. It was an appropriate exit for the sheriff, but Neptune won't be the same. Ever. :(

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it. I'm still in shock. Call it denial, but I don't believe he's dead. If VMARS lives to see another season, I think the sheriff will be resurrected. Yeah...denial...it ain't just a river.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Michael. Please know you were one of our favorite parts of Neptune. It just won't be the same without your arrogant ass!

Anonymous said...

Mikey...I read your comment at TV Guide about "I smell bread" as one last final snark that Lamb was gonna sue the homeowner. I LOVE it. That's such a Lambism. We'll miss you, man. See ya on the remote somewhere.

Anonymous said...

mike...we love ya, man...good luck whereever you land.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Michael. My heart is breaking for you, and the sheriff. You touched so many people with your snark! We love you and will miss you in Neptune.

Anonymous said...

TO ROB THOMAS: If this was your idea, way to kill your already-shaky fanbase. Did you not realize just how popular the underused Sheriff Lamb was??

TO THE CW: Go ahead and give this dying show the axe. With the needless killing of Lamb, there's obviously no thought about the fans' feelings. So just get it over with and cancel this nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

It was a huge shock when Lamb was killed this week. You were one of the best characters on the show. Lamb will definitely be missed.

Lisa

electricpeppers said...

I was so gutted when they killed Lamb off, he's one of my favourite characters and I was really looking forward to seeing his back story. Sadly that'll never happen, though this show won't be the same without him.

He'll be greatly missed and Michael, you're such a warm giving person and I know despite the mass outrage at your characters death we'll eagerly follow your future projects. Because you've gained so many fans for just being such a good human being. I wish you every success and look forward to seeing you in some new stuff (and receiving the best actor Emmy)!

Hannah.

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I am still in shock at the slaughter of our beloved Lamb. Neptune will be one boring place without your arrogance. I mean that in the nicest way possible. We love you in San Diego!!!!!!!

Lamb's ladies

Anonymous said...

WE LOVE YOU, MICHAEL!!! So sorry to see the end of the sheriff. Good luck. We know you'll be a HUGE success. Looking forward to seeing you somewhere else on our dials.

Jamie

Anonymous said...

A ball bat? Well, OK. If you had to go out, at least it was Lamb like. Take care, Michael. We'll miss your arrogant ass.

Mason

Anonymous said...

I can't believe they didn't even mention him this week or a memorial. What a crappy ending for Lamb fans. This sucks!

Jason

Anonymous said...

Michael, I'm so heartbroken over this. But, I can't wait to see you in an even bigger and better role.

All the best,
Whitney

Anonymous said...

Mike...you rocked as Sheriff Lamb. Thanks for being Veronica's verbal sparring partner. What will she do without you? Wallace,Logan, and Weevil can't match you're wit.

Anonymous said...

Michael, although this is sad news for those of us who love you on VMars, it's great that you'll get an even bigger, better part on another show. We're waiting patiently!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wizard,
We loved you as the Sheriff. Please rest in peace, until you go to BSG, the real place you're meant to be.

Anonymous said...

Michael, I'm so sad to watch this show without you. Good luck in the future, not that you'll need it. And thank you so much for the years of laughs as the sheriff.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping it's all a ploy and that you're not really dead. Denial...it ain't pretty.

Anonymous said...

I hope to never see you on t.v. eeeew grosss!

Anonymous said...

How is it being a bipolar actor? That must be really hard.

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk