Web This Site

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Commentary with a Co-ed: Smallville sizzles


by Ashley Gouveia

Last Thursday night was like Christmas in September for me. The anticipation of finally getting to view the Smallville season seven premiere had my expectations set incredibly high. I was curious to see how so many storylines were going to get resolved in just one hour.

I was amazed by the final Clark and Bizarro fight. The way Clark used the sun as his strength was very Superman-like. As was the musical score that played during that scene. I loved it! I had hoped for a big brawl between these two back when I saw Bizarro’s face change in the final moments of the finale. I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest.

Chloe’s death scene was, as expected, upsetting. Even though I knew she was coming back, it was still hard to watch. Clark’s reaction to her death. It was everything I had imagined it would be. The way he stumbled into the hallway after hearing about her was heartbreaking. The effect they used when he lost control of his super hearing and heard Chloe was great.

Those two scenes were so emotional that I expected a lot of hugging and tears when they reunited. Yeah, there wasn’t any. She immediately changed the subject of why she was in a morgue, toe tag and all. I guess it was classic Chloe wanting to avoid her feelings. But I would’ve liked to see more recognition of what had happened to her. She’s avoiding it now, but I have a feeling we’re headed for a Chloe breakdown.

Lex was rescued from a watery grave again, but this time it was Kara, aka Supergirl, that pulled him out. Having been saved by what he thought to be an “angel” he decided to turn himself in for Lana’s murder. I’m going to have to agree with Bizarro on this one. Redemption doesn’t suit you, Lex.

I’ve mentioned before that music, whether instrumental or not, is an important part of any series for me. In the final moments we got a montage to Kelly Clarkson’s Sober. I hadn’t heard the song before, but it went really well. We saw Chloe burning her death certificate, Lex in his jail cell, Kara flying off of a water tower, and oh yeah, Lana in Shanghai, China. I think I heard a collective, “Oh, man” from every Lana hater at that very moment.

The special effects in this episode were phenomenal. But, come on, couldn’t they have extended the episode to 90 minutes? If not only to have more of Bizarro Clark ripping his shirt off, but, more importantly, getting scenes to their emotional destination. There was too much to do and so little time. I’ve heard it described as one of the best episodes of the series. What did you think?

In the meantime, here’s a little something I created that, hopefully, will get all you Clark and Chloe fans excited for tonight’s episode. Enjoy!

Commentary with a Co-Ed is a weekly column at Tube Talk new every Thursday.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was an AWESOME video! Thanks Ashley. You need to work for Smallville.

I loved the season premiere, too, and tonight looks to hopefully slow down and give us a proper intro to Kara.

Anonymous said...

I thought the premiere was too rushed, also. It seemed they were trying to just tie up all the loose ends without getting too far into any one thing. Plus, damn it, Lana is alive. She's alive!!!!!

tube talk girl said...

Nice video, Ashley. I love that song. :)

Anonymous said...

Ashely, what's the DTS Chlark board? I'm a big fan of Chlark. Details, please.

Anonymous said...

stephanie, thanks for the compliment on the vid!:) That's really nice of you to say. I hope tonight's episode is even better than the premiere.

spikeme20, lol. I feel your pain!

jen, thanks!! It means a lot that you like it:)

kim, DTS(devoted to smallville) Chlark board is a forum where many Clark and Chloe fans(or Chlarkers) get together and chat about them and the show! You should definitely check it out:)

Anonymous said...

Great video Ashley! the premiere was awesome, but way too much information for one episode. Hopefully, that is not the pace for the rest of the season.

Anonymous said...

thanks lisa:) The episode was last night was really good. But what's up with the new editor at the DP? He was so mean to Chloe and now he put Lois and Chloe up against each other.

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk