Web This Site

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Writers’ strike: A plea to TV fans

If the messages of panic in my mailbox are any indication, you’re freaking out about the television writers’ strike. Rightfully so. I’m a little freaked out, too, at the prospect of no Office, or Pushing Daisies or Grey’s Anatomy.

If we want this thing resolved, I say we take action. Here’s my plan. Join me, won’t you?

I refuse to watch the reality crap-fest that will inevitably replace our beloved scripted shows, and I encourage you to do the same. If this strike lasts into January or February, we must send a message to the networks that we’re unwilling to watch sub par entertainment.

Tuning in to the reality replacement shows, simply because there is nothing else on, will simply show the networks that we endorse programming without writers. That is unacceptable.

Longtime readers of Tube Talk know I’m not a fan of reality television. In fact, the only reality shows I cover here regularly are Dancing With the Stars and American Idol.

The possibility that reality TV will be our only option is beyond depressing. (Sigh.) But, that is the reality. However, if we fail to play their reindeer games, it will send a strong message to TV producers that audiences won’t settle.

I know it’s hard to believe that I, Tube Talk Girl, would tell you to shut off the tube when the time comes, but it’s for the greater good, folks. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Those of you wanting to know what else you can do to get the writers back, here is your answer. Please take time to send a letter to the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers at 15503 Ventura Blvd, Encino, CA 91436, and tell them your thoughts.

13 comments:

Aaron Weber said...

But I like wallowing in reality crap!

tube talk girl said...

No, Aaron!!!! You've been officially banned from Tube Talk. :) I kid.

We're all entitled to our opinions. At least you got the "crap" part right! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to fire up the troops Tube Talk Girl. No worries here. When my shows go, so will I.

Anonymous said...

I'm in. I am boycotting all reality TV until this is over.

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea, Tube Talk Girl. Let's hit em where it hurts.

Anonymous said...

I don't watch it anyway, so this won't be a problem for me!

Anonymous said...

I LIKE some reality TV, just as you do Tube Talk Girl. Dancing With the Stars and American Idol are the only two I watch. But I will not be watching any of the replacement crap they put on.

Anonymous said...

I've been boycotting reality TV since it began. *Sigh* I miss the 90s.

Anonymous said...

I applaud your effort to start a boycott, but it's going to be hard to stay away if that's all we're getting offered.

Anonymous said...

Lesley, I understand the tempatation, but we have to do it. The future of scripted television is at stake here. We must be strong, Luke!

Anonymous said...

Great idea. No reality tv for me. Done.

Anonymous said...

This sounds great in theory, but I agree with the poster who said that the masses are probably going to turn on these shows when nothing else but news is on. This just sucks all the way around.

Anonymous said...

BIG MEDICINE Season 2 on TLC
Premieres Tonight January 9th 10pm EST/10pm PST/9pm CST

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk