Web This Site

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Dancing With the Stars: Bye Bye Clyde

NBA star Clyde Drexler didn’t get enough votes to stay on Dancing With the Stars Tuesday night.

Can I get an amen? The gentle giant’s departure was long overdue. The 6-foot-7 athlete is no dancer.

Judge Carrie Ann called him the “worst dancer in the competition,” which seemed to shock no one but Drexler.

I give the guy points for trying, but this is a dance competition, and he’s just an awkward mover.

Billy Ray Cyrus seemed just as shocked that he wasn’t sent home, when the camera panned his face during the results. Cyrus apparently understands that he isn’t going to be king of the ballroom, despite how hard he tries.

Apolo Anton Ohno and his partner were the stars this week, scoring the first set of perfect 10s thus far in the competition. When this show started, if you told me that an Olympic speed skater would get the first set of perfect marks, I would have laughed. But there it is.

For the night’s entertainment, dancing alumnus Lisa Rinna returned to perform a song/dance number from Chicago, her new gig on Broadway.

It’s hard to say who will go next, but Heather Mills, John Ratzenberger and Cyrus are my guesses.

The fact that no one strong leader has emerged from the contest is perhaps the most surprising of all. I thought Laila Ali, Ian Ziering and Joey Fatone would be the Mario Lopez/Joey Lawrence of this year, bringing perfect performances every time. But it didn’t happen.

I think Len is right; the stars need more practice if they want to give us the standard of dancing we’re used to seeing. Or perhaps this crop of stars just isn't as naturally talented as those in the past.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is my comment for the day on tube talk....
As I have told you before Jen, Maks could do the chicken dance and make it hot!!!!
Dang!

tube talk girl said...

Simmer down, Bec! Hmmm...come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing Maks do the chicken dance.

Anonymous said...

I can bet that there are thousands of women around the world that would say the same thing!

WarT0rn said...

I could swear Billy Ray said "What the hell?" and actually looked angry.

tube talk girl said...

Really, Billy Ray looked angry? I can definitely see him saying, "What the hell?" LOL He knows he's not the best dancer and was probably shocked.

verily said...

I adore Laila and Maks. What a team! And Laila is getting married this summer to boot. She is an amazing dancer, especially considering that she has a wedding to plan! I sure hope the ladies vote for her this season. It's past time for another lady champion. Come on ladies, make me believe we can elect Hillary Clinton by voting for a brilliant female dancer on Dancing With the Stars. Laila deserves it. She is one of the most graceful people I've ever seen!
Verily

Mike Richardson said...

Laila is a good dancer, but she's also a professional athlete (like Apolo) so I would expect them to excel in a physical competition. Also, Joey Fatone is a professional dancer so he has an advantage as well. My personal favorite dance team is Ian and Cheryl. They have so much personality and give each dance 100% effort. Ian is not a professional dancer or athlete, but yet he has all the talent of the rest of them -- last week he received six straight "9s" from the judges. I hope he surprises everyone by giving his best performances in the next two weeks and capturing the trophy. If you like Ian and Cheryl, please do your part to vote for them on Monday -- vote 4 times for each phone number and 4 times online. Also, Ian has really cool videos on his websites at www.IanZiering.com and www.MySpace.com/OfficialIZ and there you can sign up to receive his fun email blasts

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk