Web This Site

Thursday, April 26, 2007

American Idol: “Idol Gives Back” recap

by guest bloggers Becky Tennant and Bethany O’Neil

Last night was the “Idol Gives Back” two-hour show of American Idol. Let’s begin by saying that if Jordin Sparks would have been sent home last night, we wouldn’t be writing about Idol right now.

Were the producers trying to give half the viewing audience a coronary?

Needless to say, next week Chris and LaKisha had better step up their game, because they are the two on the hot seat.

Now for our run down of “Idol Gives Back.” All in all, it was a decent show. We understand that they were just trying to use the notoriety of American Idol to get people to donate to a good cause, and it was a good idea. It was a severely depressing show, but it did have a good purpose. And as of right now, the producers are saying that they have raised well over $30 million, which is outstanding.

The clips from around the world were sad. Talk about a reality check. It made us realize how lucky we are.

While the show was for a good cause, there were definitely some corn-ball moments of the evening, one being the “all-white” outfits of the six finalists and their little group songs. Totally corn-ball material. We felt like we were back in the days of The Brady Bunch. Can you sing, “It’s a Sunshine Day?”

And we know that we’ll probably take some slack for this, but the Celine Dion and Elvis “duet” is right up there with one of the “why, who cares, weird” moments of all time. Yes, Elvis is the greatest rock-n-roll legend of all time, but come on; that was eerie. Maybe the producers were smart about this, though. They brought Elvis back from the dead for the parents who would be calling in to pledge cash, not the millions of 12 and 13-year-old girls out there.

There were several celebrities that were featured: Ellen DeGeneres, Ben Stiller, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Josh Groban, Annie Lennox etc. And the musical montage of “Staying Alive” featured several well-known celebrities.

While we felt at times that we were in the throes of the Jerry Lewis Telethon, “Idol Gives Back” wasn’t overtly maudlin. It raised a lot of money. But let’s bring on some fun next week. We need to get out of this funk.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we all should have known something was up when Jordin was in the "bottom two." I was shocked last year when Chris Daughtry got the boot when he did, but there's no way Jordin Sparks is headed home yet...if ever.

I'm with you guys...had she really been eliminated, I probably would have stopped watching. At least for a week.

By the way, was it just me or did Kelly Clarkson look kind of bad last night?

Anonymous said...

yes she looked a little "bloated" you know how these celebrities are though, party party party, it catches up to you eventually. Actually I dont know why she didnt look as well as she has in the past, i thought her hair looked great though.

Anonymous said...

Friends and I disagree on Kelly Clarkson...I kind of have a thing for her, but some guys don't find her attractive at all...

last night's dress did nothing for her (wow, I sound like a chic)...maybe that's why she looked "bloated"

but I still think I'd put her on my list...maybe

Anonymous said...

The dress really didnt do much for her, glad to know that you are so into fashion...

Typical male, has to have a list

Anonymous said...

clarkson had great hair but the dress was little too "mama cass" for me. Was it me or did lakisha look bored with the whole night? just checking.

Anonymous said...

LOL Beth....definately "Mama Cass."

Anonymous said...

I have an eye for fashion, true...must have picked it up at all of those Village People concerts...

I always hate being called a "typical guy"...as if girls don't have lists...

lol...loved the Mama Cass line!!

Anonymous said...

I dont have a list...

And I remember a post between you and Tube Talk girl about a black dress, perfume and high heels, maybe you do have a penchant for fashion.

tube talk girl said...

Tim, I'm suddenly feeling the need to see your list. LOL at your new photo. I knew it.

Anonymous said...

Come on Tim, who is on the list?

Anonymous said...

Does anyone actually know where the money raised is going or how it will be distributed? I know Red Cross,United Way and Salvation Army as charities but I don't know American Idol - who is actually distributing all the buty to the needy. I cringed a little when they had the Appalachain segment because I was sure they would put on some toothless folk from WV, but we lucked out and KY won the top spot for poor folks in our neck of the woods. I thought many of the celebs in the video clips looked hung over and haggered or just unkept AND the white "suits" on the idol contestants was a definite fashion mistake!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm a regular fashionista...too much time watching What Not To Wear on TLC, I guess...

The List, huh? Maybe I'll post it tomorrow...

come on, Becky...everybody has a list of some sort

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do I have a grocery list, a Wal-mart list, and list of things that need to be done around my house. So yes Tim I do have a list, I have many.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha...very funny Becky. I guess I assumed that because Rachel and Monica had lists, all girls do.

Mine is up on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I felt the music on the 2 hour show could have been more interesting. Celine loves herself way to much or that is the feeling I get. I also said if Jordan went home I was done with the show. I really meant it.
We can all hope the money goes where it is suppose to go. Its sad that in this country so many are poor. I am not sure America fully understood how sad it is in other countries and how lucky we are here. Of course America forgets quickly. Sad....
Goodbye Lakisha and Chris next week...HOPE HOPE

Anonymous said...

I think Kelly Clarkson looked great that episode. Not everyon has to be skinny like hollywood is makin everyone out to be. Kelly may not be very thin but at least she's healthy and not too thin or too big. And I don't think Kelly "parties" that much...again...it's wat hollywood is makin everyone out to be like! But I agree, I didn't like tha dress.

tube talk girl said...

Here, here for Kelly! I'm sick of the skinny girls!

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk