Web This Site

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

American Idol Recap: “Life Anthems”…Yawn

by guest bloggers Becky Tennant and Bethany O’Neil

First, let us start out by saying that we are all for “Idol Gives Back.” It seems to be a nice thing that the American Idol producers are trying to do to help out poor children in America and in Africa. But last night’s show had to be one of the most boring shows in Idol history.

We knew going in that it was going to be a snooze fest, after watching the promotion of “Idol Gives Back” coupled with the “Life Songs Anthem” theme-of-the-night. But, we didn’t expect it to be that much of a yawn. Could the night have been anymore dry?

The only real excitement of the evening was Ryan, pointing out the lack of a button on Simon’s shirt, and the public getting another peek at Simon’s manly man chest….(insert sarcasm here)

Jordin Sparks and Melinda Doolittle, of course, were wonderful, and Phil Stacy actually did a good job AGAIN! Now if he could just go over to the Dancing With the Stars set and borrow that spray-on-tan machine he would be set.

The rest of the performances were mediocre. Blake sang Imagine, which he performed well, but we’re getting the vibe that he really thinks he is from London. Chris Richardson was OK, nothing extraordinary. And LaKisha, well, she just seems to have lost the fire that she had at the beginning of the season.

We’re not sure about tonight’s show. Let’s hope that we get to hear some good tunes from Gwen and the others. Michael Buble will be there, which is definitely a bonus.

As for the Celine Dion and Elvis Presley “duet,” we have no words.

Our pick for elimination this week, bottom two, will be Chris and LaKisha, with Chris probably getting the boot. But, as always, we reserve the right to be wrong!

Until tomorrow...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree it was a boring night, where did the fun go?

tube talk girl said...

What were some of the life anthems? I'm wondering if Tim had to indeed "jam a screwdriver in his ear?"

tube talk girl said...

I just saw a clip of Jordin singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Wow. She was incredible! Bec, is she the front runner in this thing?

Anonymous said...

I think that tonight Celine Dion is doing a "duet" with Elvis, kind of like Natalie Cole in "Unforgettable"? Why they would think this would be fun to watch is beyond me.

Some of the "Life Anthems" were "Imagine" Lakisha sang "I believe" which I didnt add in the blog but was one of Fantasias songs and once again she "tried" to outsing a previous idol winner. Jordin sang "You'll never walk alone" Chris sang "Change the World" and Phil sang that song by Garth Brooks, i think it is called "Change me" not sure though.

I just hope Tim didn't have to drive the screwdriver in too far.

Anonymous said...

I gotta tell you guys, I had the screwdriver at the ready...but I chose not to use it...but I was tempted when LaKisha did the Fantastic Burrito song

I think Chris may be a goner...I liked the song (it was the most upbeat of the night)...but it may not have been enough to save him

Phil was awful (he was screwdriver material, too)...I think Jordin is definitely the one to beat right now...she's incredible!

Anonymous said...

Come on Tim Phil wasn't that bad! If you close your eyes and pretend he has hair, some skin tone, lighter eye brows etc, the song wasnt that bad!

Anonymous said...

Melinda - what can I say - the chic can really sing, but she is pretty plain looking and probably won't garner the needed votes to win. Jordin has both singing ability and looks - she is out front. Lakisha should NOT wear those dresses that expose her back fat!! and her singing has not been as good as her early Idol efforts. I thought Phil was really good last night and he just may be your dark horse contender. A little labotomy might do Tim some good - straighten out his politics!! (grin)

Anonymous said...

Ouch anonymous...i see why you remain anonymous!

I am rooting for Jordin!!!

Anonymous said...

The night could have been done a little better. I mean come on producers. You could not have come up with anything better? All of the songs were kind of bland. I was left with a blah feeling.

Anonymous said...

Not sure why politics are an issue, Anonymous...but oh well...

I'm not sure why I have such an intense Phil-aversion...something about him just rubs me the wrong way...I mean, he's no Gina Glocksen (right Becky?)...besides, I didn't think professional singers could enter, and I'm fairly certain he used to be the lead singer for the 80's group Midnight Oil

Low blow on LaKisha's wardrobe...lol

tube talk girl said...

OK, I'm weighing in on this Lakisha issue. (No, that pun wasn't intended.)

I don't watch the show, so I never see the whole performances, just the wrap-up clips they do at the end before House comes on. That said, I don't get why everyone is so tough on LaKisha. The clip they played of her was AMAZING. The girl can SING!

Are people not impressed with her simply b/c she dared to sing a song of a former contestant?

Anonymous said...

I think LaKisha is a great singer. But something has happened over the course of the last few weeks. She has changed, or maybe she just hasn't developed as much as some of the other contestants. She has no real stage presence anymore. When it comes to charisma, she pales in comparison to Jordin and Melinda. And, as we know, this competition is about more than just singing. I have no real problem with her, I just don't think there are more talented people left on the show.

Anonymous said...

Stike that last sentence...I meant, I think there are more talented people left.

Anonymous said...

I think that LaKisha has a great voice, and she can sing, BUT my impression is that b/c of the great reviews in the beginning maybe she doesn't think she needs to try as hard as everyone else. And I think that will be her downfall.

PS, the show last night has just about thrown me into that bout of depression tim, the new blog will be up shortly.

Anonymous said...

I must admit I was worried about you, Becky...I actually didn't see the show because of work-related obligations (play-by-play for a high school baseball game)...from what I hear, I am better off for having not watched...although I guess the Celine/Elvis thing was, surprisingly, pretty cool

Anonymous said...

Well I missed the first 30 minutes because of baseball too! But the last hour and a half was really depressing. And frankly I thought the Elvis and Celine thing was kind of....weird....

Anonymous said...

I just thought the technology was pretty cool...we've come a long way since the days of Natalie and Nat King Cole...for anybody who missed it, I've got video of the duet posted on my blog

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk