Web This Site

Friday, April 18, 2008

Commentary with a Co-ed: Lex Luthor's descent

by Ashley Gouveia

Toto, I don’t think we’re in Smallville anymore.

Wow! Intense is one word to describe last night’s mind-blowing episode. It left me with the impression that the series has shifted in a new direction. Lex Luthor has become the full on baddie that we all know from comic book lore. It took one final push (bad choice of words?) to get him to the point where not even Clark could save him.

I have often nitpicked about the pace of the episodes, but I didn’t have a single complaint about it in this one. As soon as it started, it had this feeling like the stakes were incredibly high. There was no time for recycled dialogue. Lurking in the darkness of LuthorCorp, Lex waited for his father to show up so they could have some words. Did they ever!

Lex pushed Lionel out of the LuthorCorp window and truly became the villain of the story. This scene has been a long time coming. I really felt like a big part of the series came full circle. I loved the moment when he told his father that no one would remember his name. I knew the time was coming when Lex would cross to the dark side, but that didn’t stop me from hoping he wouldn’t take the jump. That is what’s so great about Smallville’s Lex. He can be completely evil, but there’s always the memory of the Lex Luthor that was Clark Kent’s best friend.

Not only did Lex kill Lionel, but he also fired Chloe from the Daily Planet. He’s evil! Of course, when Chloe tells Clark she was canned, she quickly brushes it off before he can get a word in. Come on, Chloe. I know that there wasn’t much time for chit chat, but that was your dream job. I hope she fights her way back into the Planet and takes Lex’s name off the building.

Clark and Lex’s scene in the library was by far my favorite. What was there not to like? There was a mention of Pa Kent, little Lex haunting big Lex, the discussion of two fathers and two sons, and why Lex became the man he is. Everything that needed to be said was in this scene. Plus, there was not one mention of Lana. It’s been a while since that has happened, and I couldn’t be happier.

Oh, Jimmy and Lois were in this episode as well. They weren’t bothering me at first, and then Jimmy made his obnoxious comment about Chloe having to be pried away from Clark. Jim Bob needs to get over it already. His whining is getting really old. But he was less annoying and more productive when he wasn’t around Chloe.

The Clark and Chloe loft scene at the end was really great. Her need for him to realize that both of his fathers and Lionel served a purpose in making him the man he is today was touching. The funeral scene was extremely poignant. First, on a shallow note, Tom Welling in a suit can never be a bad thing. Second, I am so glad they decided not to put any dialogue in that scene, since I felt there was no need for it. The lines were drawn with Clark Kent and Lex Luthor on opposite sides.


A standing ovation is in order for Michael Rosenbaum. He rocked last night in every scene he was in. Even in the disturbing one with him burning his younger self had me captivated. This was the best episode for Lex since season four’s “Onyx”. Also, John Glover you will be missed. ‘Till next week.


Commentary with a Co-Ed is a weekly column at Tube Talk new every Friday.

10 comments:

wwg said...

Lex Luthor has become the full on baddie that we all know from comic book lore. It took one final push (bad choice of words?) to get him to the point where not even Clark could save him.
Hee.

I knew the time was coming when Lex would cross to the dark side, but that didn’t stop me from hoping he wouldn’t take the jump. That is what’s so great about Smallville’s Lex. He can be completely evil, but there’s always the memory of the Lex Luthor that was Clark Kent’s best friend.
So true, ashley. I felt so sorry for Lex - MR really did shine in this episode. The raw emotion was touching.

Everything that needed to be said was in this scene. Plus, there was not one mention of Lana. It’s been a while since that has happened, and I couldn’t be happier.
I was estatic that Lana wasn't mentioned in that scene.

Both MR and TW were amazing in this episode. Thanks for the commentary! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading wwg! This was an amazing episode for MR, TW and AM. I'm really looking forward to the next couple of episodes. They should be epic!

Anonymous said...

Great column, Ashley! I agree with you that this was one of the best episodes ever.

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed too about the Chloe/Clark scene. It was too short.

Anonymous said...

No mention of Lana. Woo HOO!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome review, Ashley. Michael was SOOOO good it was a crime. LOL Hello, Evil Lex.

Anonymous said...

I'm really going to miss Lionel.

I know he had to go eventually so Lex could become the full-on baddie, but it won't be the same without him.

Anonymous said...

thanks kim! This ep defintely goes down as one of the best in the series. I can only hope it keeps this momentum.

obxrulz, it could have been a little longer, i agree. Maybe a little less of Jimmy could have helped. lol.

No mention of Lana, ALWAYS a plus in my book!

thanks macy, MR was soo great last night. This was a turning point for his character.

weevilswobble, i will miss John Glover as well. His scenes with Michael are some of my favorites in the series. He was such a great part of the cast.

Anonymous said...

I think Michael is the real heart of Smallville, he's what's kept me watching year after year. Once he goes, I fear I will, too.

Lex Luthor is one of the best villains on TV.

Anonymous said...

cynthia, let's hope that they work something out so Michael can stay on the show. It won't be Smallville without him. The same goes for Allison Mack.

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk