Web This Site

Friday, March 14, 2008

Britney on How I Met Your Mother—make it stop

It seems the TV world is buzzing about Britney Spears’ upcoming guest role on the CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother.

To all of you, I say, “STOP IT!”

I think we need some clarity here, people. Do we really want to encourage media attention of Spears starring on one of the few good sitcoms we have left?

Why the HIMYM people thought this was a good idea is beyond me. I assume it must be the thoughts of big ratings. The very fact that Spears will be on the episode, however, doesn’t entice me to watch it, in fact, just the opposite. I’m so sick of seeing Spears’ face in newspaper, magazines and on TV, that I feel like there is no way to escape it. And now, it’s invading the one place I take solace - my beloved den of escapism - scripted television shows.

Before you fire off the hate mail to me, hear me out. No, I haven’t seen the episode, and I’m sure it will be good, considering the brilliant writers on this show. But, do they really need to invite this kind of media attention? This show is better than a cheap casting stunt. And no offense to Spears, but the last time I checked, she isn’t an actress.

It’s been reported that the Spears camp approached the folks at HIMYM for the role, so I guess I should take comfort in knowing that they didn’t seek her out. But, frankly, I hate that stunt casting is creeping in to How I Met Your Mother. I don’t want the show to turn into Will and Grace.

Sure, sometimes, stunt casting works brilliantly. Remember John F. Kennedy Jr. on Murphy Brown? Other times, it’s a complete disaster.

All reports from the HIMYM set are that things went well during Spears’ taping. There is, however, a strange and funny story at E!Online about how Neil Patrick Harris wasn’t allowed on the stage one day because he didn’t have the right security wristband (a security measure that came along with Spears, so that tabloid reporters couldn’t sneak onto the set.) Harris eventually got someone to believe he was actually one of the stars of the show and made it in, he said. Sounds like something that would happen to his character, Barney, doesn’t it?

I’m hoping this stunt casting is a one-time gig and that the show will get back to focusing on the characters I love. And, oh yeah, finally tell us who gets to be the mommy of Ted’s future children!

The good news is that Scrubs’ Sarah Chalke is also headed for a guest role on HIMYM. Now, that’s some casting news I can get behind. Will Chalke be the mom? I can only hope.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sick of Britney. Enough already!

Anonymous said...

I picked up three newspapers yesterday, and this Britney on HIMYM story was in all of them.

Sigh.

I'm with you TTG. Enough! This girl needs to get her life together, and I don't want to see her on my favorite shows.

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine if Brit turns out to be the mother? It could happen, if her appearance spikes ratings.

tube talk girl said...

OBXrulz, if that happens, kill me now. Seriously. Worst idea ever. Haven't you heard about Brit's parenting skills? (Sorry. Low blow.)

Anonymous said...

isn't it possible that HIMYM needed to boost ratings? yes, it's a fantastic show, underrated, unappreciated. but the reality is this: it's been on the bubble a couple of seasons now.

i'd rather sit through one episode of Brit (who everyone says is good on this episode) if it means higher ratings and more HIMYM

Anonymous said...

Saw the show last night. I am the furthest you can get from a Britne yfan, but I think she did pretty good.

tube talk girl said...

Yes, Britney was good. The HIMYM folks didn't make her monopolize the show. For my review, check the latest postings.

I agree with you guys that it was worth it to have Britney to have that jump in ratings. If it keeps the show on, I'm all for it, if they keep her in small doses.

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk