Web This Site

Friday, January 18, 2008

Commentary with a Co-ed: Hooked on The Sarah Connor Chronicles

by Ashley Gouveia

I feel like I first heard about The Sarah Connor Chronicles so long ago and now I finally got to see it. I’m not a huge fan of the Terminator films. I couldn’t really tell you much about them, except for throwing out some catchy catchphrases and a flashback to the ride in Disneyland. But I’ve got to say that I loved it. It was fresh, exciting, and the two leading ladies kick butt!

Cameron, played by Summer Glau, is my favorite character. Granted, she’s a terminator/cyborg but she’s tough. Plus, she’s from the future! That’s another element that particularly peaked my interest in the show. Time travel is always interesting to me. When it’s done correctly it can take a show into a whole new direction that’s intriguing to the viewers. The time travel scene from the year 1999 to 2007 was great. I truly felt like I was watching a movie. Cameron also got to say the cool ‘come with me if you want to live’ line. How cool is that?

One reason I wanted to give this show a chance was because of Thomas Dekker, who played Zach on Heroes. I actually liked his character on that show. (Hey, he was better than West.) I wanted to see how he would handle a more important and main role. I’m happy to report that he passed with flying Terminator heads! That scene where he tells his mother that he can’t be the leader that he’s expected to be was heartbreaking. Dekker sold the ‘boy with the weight of the world on his shoulders’ brilliantly.

Not only do we have a tough cyborg girl, but we also get Sarah Connor herself. She had to be tough, if she wanted to protect her son from certain death. It’s been a while since we have had two leading women who are strong and can clearly take care of themselves on television. Even against psychotic killer robots.

The beginning and ending voiceovers given by Sarah are a great part of this series. I hope they don’t get rid of them. It’s fantastic how well they tie in to the actual themes of the episode. I think you all know I’m a sucker for a good voiceover. The pilot episode was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. So, what did you, my fellow viewers at home think of The Sarah Connor Chronicles? I’m hooked!

Commentary with a Co-Ed is a weekly column at Tube Talk new every Friday.

3 comments:

-M said...

I think the show needs to be careful about becoming The Summer Glau Chronicles, but it's not her fault she's so damn awesome to watch!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. Summer really steals the show.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I heard your review on the radio of the show and decided to tune in. Thanks for the recommendation. I liked it. It's definitely my kind of show.

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk