Web This Site

Friday, May 22, 2009

Dancing with the Stars: Gilles Marini was robbed

No offense to adorable and talented Shawn Johnson, but Gilles Marini should have gone home with the mirror ball trophy this week on Dancing with the Stars. Marini was, hands down, the best dancer of the entire crop of celebrities each week. His performances were entertaining, sexy and passionate.

I guess I have to remember that this competition isn’t about the best dancer though. It’s about popularity. Otherwise, one of my favorite celebrities of the batch, Ty Murray, would have gone home weeks ago.

Johnson did an excellent job each week, especially considering her youth and the maturity that some of the dances required. Kudos to Johnson for her fighting spirit and technique, but I still preferred Marini’s routines each time, and so did the judges. So, I’m perplexed at how Johnson upset the leading scorer, Marini, to take home the trophy. It must have been the fans. She had a fan base from her Olympic gymnastics career that apparently gave her the popularity vote.

This isn’t the first time the best dancer hasn’t won the competition. Remember Mario Lopez? He didn’t win, despite being the best dancing celebrity we’d ever seen at that time. Instead, Mr. Personality Emmitt Smith took home the trophy.

Congratulations to Johnson and her partner Mark Ballas and to Marini and his partner Cheryl Burke for making it to the final. But, I want to give a special thanks to Ty Murray for giving us such an entertaining season. Since it’s a popularity contest, I almost wish he could have won, simply so we could have heard his final speech. If the bull-riding thing doesn’t work out, I think he has a career as a stand-up comic.

2 comments:

bryan said...

I know I'm late with this but I couldn't agree with you more. Shawn is cool and all but please...you gotta come correct on who was the best the whole season.

Anonymous said...

gilles marini is the best dancer of that whole season their is nobody in that season can do a paso doble any better than gilles

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk